Jewelry has been most intimate and cherished accessory of human cultures since ages. While every piece of jewelry looks beautiful, they can end up looking faded and may lose their shine if not cared for well. If you want your jewelry to look as good as new, then you need to take good care of it.
Follow these simple steps to take care of your jewelry:
- Sun’s light and heat can affect a colored gemstone’s durability and color. Over time it could also fade or damage certain gemstones. Excessive heat and sudden temperature changes may also fracture some gems.
- Keep your jewelry away from chemical. Exposure to chemicals can damage or discolor metals and harm some gemstones. Even everyday substances like hairspray, lotion, perfume or other cosmetics can contain chemicals that will permanently damage the surface of your pearls, gemstones and metal. Follow the rule > Last ON and first OFF
- Remove jewelry before performing any household tasks such as gardening or cleaning. Both strenuous activity and the use of chemicals can cause damage to turquoise jewelry.
- Keep faux jewelry away from the water because the stones are usually held in place by glue or adhesive. Soaking faux jewelry in water can loosen the bond. Opt for a dry clean > Using a toothbrush, gently brush the jewelry without water to remove any buildup. Finish by polishing your piece with a dry, soft cloth.
- Try to keep your jewelry away from extreme temperature of either kind. Never keep jewelry in a humid place or expose it to direct sunlight for long durations, as that can discolor the jewelry or the stones might become loose. Store each piece in a separate box or ziplock, in a dry place. This is the best way to protect your jewelry from external elements.